This year the movies being honored weren’t the only dramas found at The Oscars. With Donald Trump as President, diversity being questioned, and a live TV award show- something was bound to go wrong. And while there were high points, there were also stunningly low points. Here’s my list of the top 10 moments of the Oscars- good and bad.
- Obviously, the “Best Picture” Flub, which continues to make me, and most of the world, feel uncomfortable just thinking about.
- Yet, that uncomfortable flub meant that “Best Picture” went to Moonlight, a powerful and diverse film that enlightens by conveying the childhood, adolescence, and early adulthood of an African American boy in a rough neighborhood.
- Justin Timberlake’s opening number that featured an adorable little dance with his wife, Jessica Biel, and a lot of fun moments.
- The Matt Damon vs. Jimmy Kimmel “feud”
- Director Asghar Farhadi won “Best Foreign Language Film,” but wasn’t there in a display of protest against President Trump’s travel ban.
- The 2017 Oscars “In Memoriam” piece included an uncomfortable mix-up when a very-much alive Australian producer’s photo was featured next to the name of a deceased costume designer
* the correct image was placed in the upper corner for comparison after the fact*
- Jimmy Kimmel’s classic “Mean Tweets” segment made a special Oscars appearance and was as funny as ever
- When Jimmy Kimmel arranged for an unsuspecting tour group to be brought into the Oscars while it was airing live:
- Viola Davis wins “Best Supporting Actress” and delivers an emotional, moving, and powerful speech about her family, God, and the importance of a movie like Fences.
- Jimmy Kimmel tweeting President Donald Trump during the middle of the show